Carbon Monoxide Leak At PA Daycare Should Leave New Jersey Weary Of The Dangerous Gas
How familiar are you with carbon monoxide?
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much, and as an adult, that's kind of a scary thought.
According to the CDC website carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause serious harm and death if too much is inhaled.
The website goes on to say that CO generally is produced from fumes that come from burning fuel in cars, trucks, stoves, fireplaces, gas ranges, and furnaces.
Basically, if it burns some sort of fuel odds are it also produces carbon monoxide.
A daycare in Allentown PA saw the dangers of carbon monoxide firsthand this week when 14 children and one adult were sent to the hospital due to CO poisoning, according to CNN.
Still no word on what was leaking carbon monoxide in the building but that is a scary situation!
Fortunately, everyone who was affected seemed to be in stable condition.
It serves as a stark reminder to New Jersey residents as we approach the winter months to be mindful of this dangerous gas.
What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
The CDC says that there are several symptoms that you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Chest Pain
This list is very similar to what happens when you don't properly lite your gas stove, but they are two completely separate gasses.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a concern year-round, however, the winter months I think are when it's the biggest concern.
It's the time of year people are burning more fuel to heat their homes, letting cars warm up before hitting the road, and running generators during storms.
Fortunately, there are a lot of preventative measures you can take to ensure you and your family's safety when it comes to carbon monoxide.