Hot Stuff! How Long Will Our Heat Wave Continue Here in New Jersey
Chances are if you live in New Jersey, you are hot! How could you not be? We are in the midst of a summer heat wave here in the Garden State as temps have been at 90 degrees or above for the past few days, but how long will it last?
According to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) "Scijinks" the definition of a heat wave is "A heat wave is a period of unusually hot weather that typically lasts two or more days. To be considered a heat wave, the temperatures have to be outside the historical averages for a given area."
NOAA (On Their Scijinks Page) had some tips to help "beat the heat" and they can be useful here in New Jersey this week:
- Take it easy. Slow down and avoid doing strenuous work.
- Dress for the weather. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Drink lots of water. Unless you have a condition that is affected by changing how much fluid you drink, it’s a good idea to keep as hydrated as possible.
- Avoid high-protein foods and meat. Eating these can increase your body’s heat production.
- Find an air-conditioned place to hang out. Don’t have an air conditioner of your own? Find a friend with one, or go to a public place like a library that has one.
- Be very careful in cars. Cars heat up extremely fast. You should never spend time in a parked car with windows closed, and you should always be wary of hot metal objects both inside (like seatbelt buckles) and outside the car.
- Avoid getting too much sun. Sunburns make it harder for your body to cool off.
Here is Dan Zarrows Forecast:
- TODAY... HOT AND MORE HUMID... MOSTLY SUNNY AND DRY... HIGH 92... THE HEAT INDEX ("FEELS LIKE" OR "APPARENT" TEMPERATURE) WILL APPROACH 100 DEGREES
- TONIGHT... CLEAR SKIES... WARM AND STICKY... LOW 75
- TOMORROW... HOT AND VERY HUMID... PARTLY SUNNY AND BREEZY... CHANCE OF AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM... HIGH 94... HEAT INDEX PROBABLY OVER 100
- FRIDAY... HOT AND NOT AS HUMID... MOSTLY SUNNY... HIGH 92
- WEEKEND... ONE OF THE HOTTEST WEEKENDS OF THE YEAR... SUNNY AND 94 ON SATURDAY... MOSTLY CLOUDY AND 95 ON SUNDAY
Blueberry Picking in Beautiful Burlington County New Jersey
5 Unexpected Yet Delicious Foods You'd Only Find at a NJ BBQ