What Stores Will Be In the ‘American Dream’?
The mega-mall at the Meadowlands was first proposed in 2003; ground was broken in 2004 with a plan to open in 2006; a new company took over in 2007; construction stalled in 2009; another company purchased the property in 2013; construction stalled again in 2016; an opening was planned for early 2017, then summer 2017...and now plans are to open March 2019.
Beyond the usual trappings of a mall, the American Dream will include:
- North America's largest indoor water park
- KidZania, a miniature city run by kids
- A pair of roller coasters
- The first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey
- A 22,000-square-foot arcade and bowling alley for adults
- A LEGOLAND discovery center
- A 12-story indoor ski park with an 800-foot-long hill
- A 300-foot-tall Ferris wheel offering a one-of-a-kind view of Manhattan
- A 4-D, dine-in movie theater
That's all great for a theme park, but if you're billing yourself as a mall, you need some stores!
Here's a list of the stores that will be setting up shop:
That's...fine, I guess? The thing is, there are already Microsoft and Victoria's Secret and Gap stores in every other mall, so why am I going to drive all the way up the Turnpike to get there? I understand the draw is all the other stuff, the water park and rollercoasters and all, but if that's the case, just make the whole thing a theme park, and skip the retail parts.
It'll be fascinating to see how things do. I'm sure it'll open with a big splash, maybe have a strong summer, but we'll have to see how long the initial buzz lasts.
More from 105.7 the Hawk: