LAKEWOOD — A man suffered first-degree burns to his face in a flash fire stemming from the oven inside his apartment Sunday evening, according to first responders.

Lakewood Police Sgt. Nathaniel Montgomery told New Jersey 101.5 there was no lingering fire or explosion and no one was displaced by the incident, though gas service was shut off to the unit on Woodlake Manor Drive.

The man was airlifted to Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston as a precaution.

Montgomery did not disclose the circumstances of the fire.

A flash fire is a type of short-duration fire that spreads rapidly fueled by dust, gas, or the vapors of an ignitable liquid like an aerosol or flammable gas, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

When such fire is inhaled, it can cause serious damage to the lungs.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNJ

The 10 Most Stolen Vehicles In New Jersey

What to know about the spotted lanternfly & tree of heaven in NJ

How to identify the tree of heaven, one of the most likely places to find egg masses from the spotted lanternfly

9 Dumb Things About New Jersey