As you probably have noticed, the roads are in terrible shape. There are potholes everywhere.

Every Winter we have to deal with potholes forming, but this year is one of the worst that I can remember. Just take a ride on Rt. 37, and you will know what I am talking about.

Potholes are formed during the Winter when water seeps into cracks in the asphalt and then freezes, which pushes the pavement up... just like that, you have yourself a fresh new pothole!

This Winter has particularly caused havoc on the roads and our vehicles.

You might not know this, but If your vehicle has sustained damage due to potholes, you can file a claim with the state. This is what you need to do:

If your vehicle received damage on the Garden State Parkway or the NJ Turnpike, submit a claim form, and include the following:

  • An estimate for repairs and/or a receipt showing proof of payment for any repairs made
  • Specific location where the incident occurred (nearest exit, mile post, cross street, relevant landmarks, etc.
  • A copy of an official police report, if one was filed at the time of the incident
  • Ac copy of the Declaration page of the auto policy for the registered owner of the vehicle.
Photos of the pothole are not necessary.
Mail it to:
Department of Treasury
Division of Risk Management
PO Box 620
Trenton, NJ 08625
Attn: Tort Claims Unit
Filing a claim with our local Townships might be a little more difficult, but it can't hurt to try.
If your vehicle was damaged on local or county roads, please click the following links for either Toms River, Brick, or Berkeley Township to get in touch with officials from their Public Works Department.

Now...You're not guaranteed you will get reimbursed, but at least it's worth a shot.

More From 105.7 The Hawk