Will Your Thanksgiving Feature Pork Roll Pie?
Jake Hunt from Windy Brow Farms has created what may be the ultimate New Jersey dessert - PORK ROLL PIE.
Combining the savoryness of pork roll with the sweetness of pecans and brown sugar, this dish looks amaaaaaaaazing.
According to the video, this ingredient list/recipe will make two pies, so I guess you can just cut things in half if you only want to experiment with one pie.
- premade pie crust or shortbread crust
- 8 tablesoons of butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups of pecans
- 1/2 cup of chopped figs
- 2 cups of caramelized chopped Taylor Ham
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Start by molding your pie crust into a pie pan so it is ready for the filling
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350*.
- Melt the butter over medium heat
- Add the brown sugar and corn syrup
- Whisk the eggs and then slowly pour the butter mixture into the eggs while you continue whisking.
- Once the mixture is completely combined, add the pecans, figs, and pork roll.
- Add the vanilla and the salt.
- Pour the pie filling into the crust and garnish with a ring of pecans.
- Bake at 350* for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut and serve while warm or at room temperature.
I love pork roll, and I love pecan pie...and I'm seriously tempted to try out this recipe. If you decide to bust it out for Thanksgiving, feel free to share your results with us!
More from 105.7 the Hawk: