Contact Us

Haz-Mat Team Sent to Brick Home

Flickr User Flickr4Jazz

Chemical fumes fill a Brick Township home sending the resident to the hospital. Police say it was the Reedy Drive homeowner’s attempt to unclog a toilet that created the haz-mat situation.

74-year-old Robert Byrne attempted to clear the drain with bleach Wednesday night and when that didn’t work, he poured in sulfuric acid Thursday morning causing a volatile reaction.  Police say when the chemicals combined the mixture foamed over and quickly filled the residence with fumes.

Byrne was transported to the Ocean Medical Center after complaining of having difficulty breathing. His dog was also affected by the exposure to the fumes and was turned over to a family member at the scene.

First responders and the Berkley Township Hazardous Materials Response Team ventilated the residence and declared it safe to re-enter by 1:30 Thursday afternoon.

More from 105.7 The Hawk

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://1057thehawk.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on 105.7 The Hawk quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on 105.7 The Hawk quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!