Bathroom Fumes Send Brick Man to Hospital
We promise, it's not what you think.
Brick resident Robert Byrne was hospitalized and a hazardous materials team was called when the 74-year-old man attempted to unclog his toilet using a potentially lethal combination of chemicals.
Authorities explained that Byrne poured bleach into a toilet to dislodge a clog. When that didn't work, Byrne took the next logical step on Thursday morning, pouring sulfuric acid into the toilet.
As dangerous chemicals tend to do, the bleach and the sulfuric acid reacted, foaming over the toilet bowl and quickly filling the home with fumes.
Byrne was transported to Ocean Medical Center where he was treated for difficulty breathing. His dog was left in the care of a family member.
The Berkley Township Hazardous Materials Response Team ventilated the residence and declared it safe to re-enter by 1:30 Thursday afternoon.
You can't make this stuff up, folks.